Thursday, May 24, 2007

 

Going Pro

Much of the talk around campus this week is on the final decision by basketball star Rodney Stuckey to enter the NBA draft. He has now hired an agent, which means there's no turning back for another year in college. Stuckey did say in February he would likely come back, but can you blame a kid like him? He's projected to be a first-round NBA pick and this should ensure a lifetime of financial security for him and his family. Besides, he's also fulfilling a lifetime dream that many kids have of playing at the highest level.
Here are some quotes, as reported by Dave Trimmer in the Spokesman Review:
--
"This is my goal, ever since I was little," the best basketball player in EWU history said Wednesday afternoon. "I remember sitting here in ninth grade, 10th grade, in the team room talking to coach Burns."
"A skinny 6-footer," Mike Burns interjected.
"He said you're going to be in this situation some day, you just have to keep focus, keep your head on straight," the 6-foot-5, 206-pound guard continued. "The time is finally here."
--
Although the Eagles never reached their goal of making the NCAA tournament, Stuckey, who finished 303 points behind Cox, leaves with no regrets.
"None at all," he said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Not a lot of players get this chance to be in this situation. This is the best decision for me to do right now. I'm excited about the future and what it's going to bring."
--
"Basically my stock keeps rising, that's what my agents are telling me," he said. "All they're hearing is good feedback from teams. This draft is kind of different. There are a lot of big guys out there but there are not a lot of combo guards like me. They have a lot of faith in me and I have a lot of faith in myself.
"Right now it's just a matter of me working out and getting ready for these workouts. I will be ready. I've been working really hard these past weeks."
--
"I just want to say thanks for all the support people gave me here at Eastern."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?